Friday, April 25, 2008

Our Passionate (and Long Winded) Shakespeare Actors

I've just returned from delving into the mind of actors - it was a scary thing! No, I'm just kidding. Actually, I was sorting through the answers to some publicity questionnaires that I sent to the actors. They were asked basic questions about their favorites plays, roles, first acting experience etc. I wasn't expecting to get back such fascinating stories and anecdotes although some of the actors are quite long winded - no, I won't name names! You can read whole deal at http://www.riversidetheatre.org/currentseason/actors/actors.htm

A few things I noticed:

1) These actors have modest beginnings. Cristina Panfilio's first acting experience was a musical called When the Hippos Crashed the Dance! Aaron Graham's was a Fourth of July variety show called "American Pie" where he danced a number from Fiddler on the Roof.

2) Looking for a good read? Favorites plays that came up more than once: Hamlet. Macbeth. August: Osage County. Arcadia. And many of the actors listed Richard III as a role they're dying to play.

3) My favorite responses, however, were to the question "Why does performing Shakespeare interest you?" These actors have a way with words! (I think that's a good thing for their chosen profession...) Love for the language, the depth of its character and the challenge it presents to the actor were highest on the list. Aaron compares it to learning a unique form of music. Martin Andrews talks about the intimiate relationship with the work, a "one night stand" just won't cut it.

What's clear from these responses is passion for the craft. These actors love what they do and I think you'll see that on stage.

No comments: